During this time of COVID-19 it is important to all of us at Auckland Kindergarten Association (AKA) that we continue to provide a safe learning environment for your child, you and your family.
Your child’s health, safety and wellbeing is of paramount importance and we want to reassure you the teachers are working to ensure systems are in place to support as safe a learning environment as possible.
REGULAR CLEANING PRACTICES
Teachers carry out hygienic routines daily:
- Surfaces are cleaned with an approved bleach solution. This includes nappy changing areas, which are cleaned between individual child changes.
- Toilets and hand basins are checked on a regular basis throughout the day to ensure they are in a satisfactory condition.
- Teachers wear clean disposable gloves when carrying out cleaning and for each child changing routine.
- All equipment used by children is being washed and disinfected regularly.
Professional cleaners carry out cleaning daily:
- Clean and disinfect all tables and all chairs
- Clean and disinfect all toilets, toilet dividers, door handles, flush button/handles, and soap, toilet roll and paper towel dispensers
- Clean and disinfect all mats in the children’s and adult/disabled toilets if there are any.
- Sweep, vacuum and then wash all uncarpeted floor areas.
- Clean bins and dispose of rubbish
REGULAR HYGIENE ROUTINES WITH CHILDREN
- Hand Washing: Correct hand washing is one of the most effective ways of minimising the spread of illnesses. Teachers are vigilant to ensure that all hand washing supplies are readily available for children’s and adult’s use. Staff supervise children to wash and dry their hands thoroughly at the following times:
- Prior to any food preparation
- After using the toilet
- Prior to eating snacks, lunch and any kindergarten/centre baking
- After kindergarten activities such as gardening, pet care, messy play etc.
SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS WE ARE TAKING AT THIS TIME
- Children keep lunchboxes in their bags rather than in fridge
- Children drinking from own drink bottles only – not using shared water fountain or cups
- Smaller mat times – keeping the group size lower and spread out seating of children where we can
- Washing hands one extra time before mat time
- Changing some routines like AM Tea to ensure thorough 20 second handwashing/drying
- Re arranging furniture and routines so parents are able to wait a safe distance from one another at drop off and pick up times
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS UNTIL THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC HAS BEEN LIFTED
- Staggered Entry and Exit times
- Smaller group size 10 children initally and then moving to 20
- Magna latch on the entry gate is cleaned with bleach three times a day
- Sign in Pen – tissues placed beside pen for adults to hold the pen – clean pen with bleach solution before and after arrival and departure times.
- All kitchen benches including all door/fridge/oven handles/taps cleaned twice a day with bleach solution, during session.
- All surface areas in contact area such as bookshelves, cubby holes, bag hooks cleaned daily with bleach solution
- Children’s and adult toilets and taps – cleaned twice a day, during session, with bleach solution
- Door handles and internal latches cleaned twice a day with bleach solution, doors propped open where appropriate to minimise touching of door handles.
- Opportunities for children to learn the 20 second handwashing techniques, and coughing/sneezing safety are added to the daily teaching programme.
- Requiring that all children or adults suffering from coughs,colds, or ill health stay at home to recover.
- Indoor temperature which is currently a minimum of 16 degrees Celsius will to be increased to 18 degrees Celsius.
- Breakfast and or Morning Tea will not be provided